Mutable Instruments Ripples Liquid Filter
Ripples delivers a classic, big-sounding analog four-pole filter in a small 8-HP package, continuing Mutable Instruments’ lineage of warm and tasty filters started by the Shruthi SMR4 mkII and 4-Pole Mission. 3 filter modes are available: 2-pole band-pass, 2-pole low-pass, and 4-pole low-pass.
Self-oscillation is available for all modes and produces a clean sine-wave on the LP4 output. Unlike many classic 4-pole designs, this filter does not suffer from “loudness drop” when resonance is increased. The resonance loudness compensation circuit brings a slight tone coloration reminiscent of the Roland SH/Jupiter filters, with a very round and “liquid” resonance.
The 4-pole low-pass output is additionally sent to a VCA. This makes Ripples a good final stage module for an inexpensive/space-constrained subtractive synthesis synth voice.
- Cutoff knob range: 18Hz to 18kHz.
- Fully analog, based on the V2164 low noise/distortion quad VCA chip, and LM13700 OTA for that extra bit of non-linearity.
- Frequency CV inputs impedance: 100k.
- Audio input impedance: 75k.
- Resonance and VCA CV input impedance: 30k.
- All CV inputs handle audio-rate modulations.
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.