EarthQuaker Devices Afterneath Reverberation Machine Eurorack
The Afterneath Eurorack Module brings the Otherworldly sounds from the effects pedal world right into your modular synthesizer with an expanded feature set. The Afterneath module features one main audio input, one main audio output, an audio send and return for the Reflect feedback path, and nine controls. Four of the parameters are controllable via CV, and each has been equipped with a dedicated attenuverter to process the incoming CV. The Afterneath module has a completely analog dry signal path and a totally digital wet signal path.
- Unquantized: Smooth, unquantized response over the operating range
- Unquantized with Slew: Smooth, unquantized response over the entire operating range, but with a musical slew that is reminiscent of turning the varispeed knob on a vintage British tape delay. The “Drag” will lag behind the knob or CV changes, but then quickly catch up
- Unquantized Volt/Octave: Smooth and unquantized, yet scaled to align with the 1v/octave curve to allow melodic modulation of audio in the buffer, or control the frequency of self-oscillation like a voltage controlled oscillator
- Chromatic Scale: Quantized 1v/octave to the chromatic scale
- Major Scale: Quantized 1v/octave to the major scale
- Minor Scale: Quantized 1v/octave to the minor scale
- Pentatonic Scale: Quantized 1v/octave to the pentatonic scale
- Octaves & Fifths: Quantized 1v/octave to omit all but octaves and fifths
- Octaves: Quantized 1v/octave to omit all but octaves
It is normal for the Afterneath Module to self-oscillate when using higher settings of the Length and Reflect controls – especially when both controls are set above the 12 o’clock position. When you combine the self-oscillation with CV control over the Drag parameter you have an interesting voltage controlled oscillator. Modes 3-9 will allow the self-oscillation to track volt/octave scaling. When using an external control voltage, the Drag knob acts as an offset control for the incoming voltage. Due to the nature of the effect, the Drag parameter responds to only positive voltages between 1.6 and 4.1 volts. When using a voltage between 0 and 1.6 volts, you can turn the Drag knob clockwise to offset the incoming voltage to the response range. Please note that bipolar signals may need additional offset voltage from an external source to bring the entire control signal within the response range.
Keep in mind that the Afterneath is not intended to be a precision oscillator. When self-oscillating, it’s pitch is mostly based upon the note that is played into it. While feeding back, the original note will transform through various harmonic and enharmonic frequencies, depending on the levels of the Length, Reflect and Dampen controls. Careful adjustment of the Length and Reflect controls can allow you to sustain sounds in the buffer for longer periods of time without it becoming unstable.
- Width: 16HP
- Max Depth: 31.75 mm
- Current Draw: 95 mA from the +12v rail, 0 mA from both the -12v and +5v rails
- Standard 10-pin Eurorack power connector with a marking to notate the negative pins
- Skiff friendly – protrudes less than 1.25 inches (31.75 mm) behind the panel with the power header installed
- Audio input capable of handling input signals ranging from instrument-level to modular-level, depending on the setting of the Input knob
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.